Monday, July 11, 2011

3 Miles!!! Yay!

I couldn't wait to run tonite.  I had quite the day at work and was feeling a little on the grumpy side.  I wonder if it had anything to do with my not running Saturday or Sunday. 

I gardened and cleaned the basement on Saturday so I thought I would run on Sunday.  I woke up later than normal on Sunday.  (9:30 am is like totally sleeping in for me!!)  It was really hot on Sunday with a heat index of 114 degrees.  Needless to say, I opted not to run in that kind of heat.  I need to find an alternative if the weather or temperature prevents me from running.  Maybe Pilates or Yoga.

I ran on the Mopac again tonite.  My husband and my friends, Randy & Ronda all rode their bikes in support of me.  That was so sweet!  Thanks you guys!!  They didn't even complain at riding slow to stay with me.  Thankfully, no creepers to freak me out on the trail like last Wednesday. 

It felt amazing to be back on the Mopac.  The terrain is so much better and the shade of the trees and the sounds of nature are great.  

I was running really great in the beginning but the humidity was so high that I found myself wheezing and gasping for breath.  I had my hubby ride back to the truck for my inhaler.  I think I have Exercise induced asthma from all those years of smoking.  One of the reasons I want to quit.  I haven't needed the inhaler while running in over a week. 

By the time he found it in my monster size purse and rode back to us, I was at A street already.  I had run 1.1 miles.  I used the inhaler and went a little further and turned around to run back.  I'm still doing the run/walk thing only on the way out, I ran more than I walked but after working so hard to breathe, I feel like I walked more than ran on the way back.  I continued to jog when necessary to keep my heart rate up and the calories burning and I continued to sweat like a pig.  (I think I lost a small child in sweat weight. LOL)

Probably my biggest problem tonite, besides the breathing was the chaffing.  All that sweat and my polyester "gym" shorts and my thighs rubbing together definitely was uncomfortable.  I have a painful rash that I think will be a bruise tomorrow. Those shorts are going into the not for running pile.  :/  And I may look into some sort of athletic butter to put on my thighs before running. 

I gotta say though.....I absolutely LOVE stretching after a good run.  I am most flexible then and it feels so good!  I am uber happy that I have extended my distance some more tonite!!  2.99 miles! 

I will run again on Wednesday only I think I'll only go 2+ miles and try to run more than walk to build up more stamina before the 5K.  I am really surprised at how much better and faster the first 1.1 miles went than last Wednesday.  I improved my time by almost 40 seconds a mile!  (Think of the improvement if I had been able to run more than walk on the way back?)

Still, it is a victory!!!!  (Is it bad that I came home and had a adult beverage with my hubby on the deck? :-D)

Until Wednesday...

Roni

No comments:

Post a Comment