Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Victorius to Frustrated...UGH!

Friday's run went really well.  My hubby ran with me and I mapped out my run using www.mapmyrun.com.  I was able to run 30 seconds then walk 30 seconds the entire 1.5 miles which was 20 minutes with one exception.  The big hill going north on 70th street from Eldora LN to Vine street.  I had to walk 1 full minute there to recover but then it was back on the plan.  I was really proud of hubby for making it the whole way with me. Even if he was 5+ feet behind me.  It seems to be getting a little easier for me. :)

Saturday I was planning on running with my friend Lori at 1pm but she had a family emergency come up so I planned on running by myself.  (Running alone makes me nervous because who will hold me accountable?  Who would know if I walked more than ran?)  I planned on running in the evening and finished planting my garden with my afternoon.  The Garden kicked my butt so I delayed my run until Saturday.  I had been in the garden barefoot and could feel the strain in my shins that evening.  Not good. 

Sunday afternoon, Lori and I got together and ran at 1:30.  I surprised myself by doing pretty well.  I could feel the shin pain from the day before but I kept pushing thinking it would work itself out.  NOT!  At 1/2 mile we turned back and walked home not wanting to risk injury.  That's ok I thought, we still got a mile in.  I spent the evening taking Ibuprofen and icing the shins.

Monday evening after work, I went for my run while hubby biked alongside me.  My shins had felt pretty good so we headed out.  I surprised myself by running for 45+ seconds before needing to walk to recover.  Whoo Hoo!!  But about 4 blocks into the run, I could feel my left shin starting to scream at me.  I plugged along anyway.  At 1/2 mile the shin pain grew and it caused a cramp that wrapped down into my foot on the lateral side.  I had to stop, sit, remove my left shoe and rub my foot and try to stretch it out.  Stupidly, I thought I could keep going, got up and ran about 50 yards before the cramp traveled into my thigh too.  It felt better when I was running than walking so I turned around and started running home.  There was a point I thought hubby was going to have to bike home and get the truck and come pick me up but I walked it off and still, ran 2 of the 4 blocks back home.  Medicated myself and iced the shins.

Everything I've read today on the internet, and consulting with my sister who is the Marathon runner says, "Rest it, don't run for several days and it will heal unless it's a stress fracture."  CRAP!!  I'm not happy about this, I was starting to get this running thing down. 

I'm open to any ideas to keep a fitness level up while I'm resting this darn thing.  Any tips for a newbie runner?  Maybe I'll do some yoga. 

P.S.  I really need to blog every day I run so it's not so long.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment